Apple Tree Initial Styling

The two apple trees I collected last year have survived the collection, and they were sitting in my front lawn (in the ground) ever since they were collected last year. I got some very big colanders to put the trees into. Since I want the trees to develop a massive root mass, growing them in colanders is the only way to go. If past experience serves me right, by the end of the growing season, the pot will be filled with new roots.

Potting up the trees into colanders also allows me to put the trees in my south facing backyard, such that they can get full sun, while keeping them safe from the ravaging rabbits.

I won’t be doing anything with the windswept apple, but I’ll be doing some initial styling with the triple trunk apple (on the right, in the picture above).

I decided to use this side as the front, as it provides better taper near the roots, and the deadwood also provides some interesting texture. The smaller trunk on the left is problematic though, since it’s a very straight trunk shooting to the left. I still want to keep this trunk, as it compliments the main trunk well. The trunk is of a certain girth, so bending it is out of the question. These apple trees are very resilient to abuse, so, I’ve decided to go ahead and bend this trunk anyways. Before actually bending it, there’s a few things I want to do to help the bend. First, I cut slits along the trunk to allow for bending. The slits go in the inner curve of the bend.

A wider slit allows for a tighter bend, a smaller slits are for more gradual bends. When a branch is bent, the cambium layer on the outer curve tend to stretch and potentially crack. To avoid/reduce damage to the cambium layer, I proceeded to wrap the trunk with raffia. After wrapping it raffia, I bent the secondary trunk towards the main trunk and then secure it along the main trunk. The hope is that this trunk will continue to develop and heal over. Hopefully next year, I’ll be able to release the constraints, and the trunk will be set in place.

Overall, I’m pretty satisfied with the bend. I might keep this tree as a triple trunk. The main trunk might potentially be reduced in height in the future. It really depends on what back budding I get to work into a new leader.

Collected Trees Recovery

The trees collected in April are now sitting in my front lawn, recovering from the lost of leaves and roots. The apple trees started putting out new buds in May. On the other hand, the Hawthorne has been slow in putting out buds. In mid to late June, the Hawthorne finally put out some buds. There were some low buds that got attacked by the rabbit, but sufficient buds remain for the tree to be healthy. I’m pretty confident these trees will continue to survive until next Spring. At which time, I will be digging them up, and putting them into a colander to further develop as bonsai next year. In particular, I have great hopes for the windswept apple tree. The Hawthorne will be interesting for me from a personal learning perspective, as this is my first Hawthorne tree. I’m still having a tough time figuring out the front for the Hawthorne, but I’m hoping it’ll come to me after I get it into a pot (colander).

Here’s the windswept apple. Looking to plant it with the left side lower (imagine photo rotate counter clockwise).Windswept Apple

The multi-trunk apple. I think I might end up cutting off some of the trunks, as it might look more like a clump style. Will decide later on to see where the actual tree is…

Multi-trunk Apple

The dual trunk Hawthorne. This might end up to be the side, I’m struggling to see where’s the front, but it’ll come to me next year.

Hawthorne