Since two weeks ago, I’ve realized there were roots visible from the bag of the Shimpaku air layer. At first, one of the roots were red, while the other root was white. The white root continues to elongate, while the red one has ceased to elongate. I waited a week for the white root to also turn red.
It is now ready to be separated from the parent plant.
I simply cut off the air layer from right below the peeled bark.
The two roots are clearly visible here. I’m hoping there are more roots within the moss.
I removed the plastic and secured the plant with moss intact. I threaded two wires from the bottom of the pot, and tied the plant securely in place. Tying it down ensures the roots have a chance to develop. I then filled in the space with bonsai soil, while using a chopstick to ensure no air pockets exist.
The plant is now fully potted. It will remain in semi shade to help it adjust to the reduced root support. Come next spring, I’ll consider removing all moss, and repot it into full bonsai soil.