Experimentation with the Japanese Black Pine continues. This time I will be plucking needles to redistribute vigor down to the lower and inner branches. The tree currently has a lot of growth up top.
Since there is a long stretch where there are no branches coming out, I have decided to use the upper portion as sacrifice to thicken up the trunk, while developing my lower branches to be the real tree. I first proceed to pluck the needles from the vigorous growth.
I finally put a bag over the scion to keep it moist, and hope for the best. I’m not too concerned if it doesn’t take, as this is all for a good learning process.