I acquired one Japanese Maple, and one Larch from the TBS Spring Show. The Japanese Maple was air layered, and has an excellent spreading nebari. It was a bit pricey at $55, but I have high hopes for the nebari. There has also been some work done on the tree to improve tapering, and branch layout. Unfortunately, the tree was potted into a fruit basket in some common soil. I quickly repotted the tree into a colander with my bonsai mix. The shock of the repotting caused some of the new growth to get saggy, but that should improve after the tree has an opportunity to recover. I also placed the hay weaved mulch pad on top of the soil to conserve moisture. I found that this helps trees through the repot shock.
After a few days, the new growths are looking lively again. I decided to shape some of the major branches which I plan to keep. At this point in time, I’m not going to prune it, since the leaves are small and thin, I don’t have concerns of light not reaching into the tree. I rather reduce the shock to the tree, and let it grow out a bit more. It’ll help strengthen the roots, and help thicken the branches. The tree currently sits under a bench. After a week, I’ll gradually move it out into full sun.
The Larch I acquired aren’t particularly interesting. But since my last Larch from last year’s TBS workshop died, I decided to give this another chance. This time, I’ll be more patient, and less aggressive in shaping the tree.
The tree already had a trunk chop, and two branches developed to an apex. But the positioning of those two branches are awkward, and unappealing in my opinion. I thought the tree also looked way too tall for the size of the trunk. So I took a saw to it.
I wired into place some of the branches I plan to keep. For the ones I do not plan to keep, I kept them around for the time being. Come next year when I repot the tree, I’ll also be removing the branches I don’t intend to keep. I wired a new apex upwards as well.